The Debating Chamber

Forum for intelligent debate on possibly controversial topics related to gaming

Origin Access

• Posted on 15 January 16 at 05:07
    Not exactly sure where the best place for this was, as isn't Steam but it is related to PC gaming and this was the only off topic feed I noticed. There isn't a trueoriginachievements site is there?

I saw that EA is offering Origin Access now on their Origin Service and is very similar to EA access except that the vault will offer third party games down the line in addition to EA titles.

It looks like vault is starting with 15 titles and they are charging 5 a month. I didn't notice a yearly option like they have on EA Access on xb1. Seems to have the early access feature as well as the 10% discount on purchases as well.

Anyway, thought it might interest some pc gamers, you can always google it or go to origin and click an ad to read more about it.
  • JMJimmyJMJimmy48,967
    Posted on 15 January 16 at 07:02
    EA may retire Origin Access and/or online digital content services after 30 days’ noticeAfter your subscription period ends, you will not have further access to membership benefits, including Vault titles, game upgrades, or in-game purchases made in a Vault title unless you separately have access to that Vault titleIt's a bit concerning that you could buy DLC/in game content but lose access to it unless you buy the game anyway? On a basic level it makes sense but the concern is that they decide to shutdown the access program after you've spent $$$ in rental fees and $$$ in in-game content only for you to have to rebuy what you've been paying for all along... dunno, maybe I'm just too leery of EA, maybe I just like 'owning' things. I could see this working on consoles for the casual gamer but not PC.
    Life, it's funny that way.
  • VeilorVeilor53,752
    Posted on 15 January 16 at 10:24
    JMJimmy said:It's a bit concerning that you could buy DLC/in game content but lose access to it unless you buy the game anyway? On a basic level it makes sense but the concern is that they decide to shutdown the access program after you've spent $$$ in rental fees and $$$ in in-game content only for you to have to rebuy what you've been paying for all along... dunno, maybe I'm just too leery of EA, maybe I just like 'owning' things. I could see this working on consoles for the casual gamer but not PC.Think of it as netflix for PC gamers. I know I myself have wanted this since the rumour got out that EA would be attempting this. There's still older games I have yet to play and this makes it so I can play them.

Just waiting for my country to get it
  • JMJimmyJMJimmy48,967
    Posted on 15 January 16 at 13:33, Edited on 15 January 16 at 13:33 by JMJimmy
    Veilor said:Think of it as netflix for PC gamers. I know I myself have wanted this since the rumour got out that EA would be attempting this. There's still older games I have yet to play and this makes it so I can play them.

Just waiting for my country to get it
    I'm trying to... would you pay extra to buy the individual special features on a Netflix movie or 'special bonus episodes' of a TV series knowing that you'd lose access to those purchases if you ever cancelled Netflix? Not sure I would.
    Life, it's funny that way.
  • VeilorVeilor53,752
    Posted on 15 January 16 at 13:37
    I don't really care about the DLC, so it's not an issue for me. But I can see the issue for others.
  • SpilnerSpilner1,960
    Posted on 15 January 16 at 14:34
    Origin has achievements?
    Its that guy from the thing in the place.
  • VeilorVeilor53,752
    Posted on 15 January 16 at 15:08, Edited on 15 January 16 at 15:11 by Veilor
    Spilner said:Origin has achievements?It has. I think it started with Battlefield 3 and from there every game made by EA & released on consoles also has achievements.
    http://i.imgur.com/yRpDc8u.png (not my profile)
  • Posted on 15 January 16 at 17:01
    The problem is I own every game that is offered with this service that I had any interest in playing headspin

Maybe down the line they'll add some that interests me. Or perhaps I'll sub for the the Mass Effect: Andromeda trial. But until then I'm not going to subscribe.
  • JosPlaysJosPlays108,109
    Posted on 15 January 16 at 19:00
    Would be nice if they add Star Wars Battlefront next year or so. But at this moment i'm not really interested. A Steam Access subscription would have been fun years ago (when I started with Steam).
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 16 January 16 at 18:25
    This post contains unbalanced formatting tags and cannot be rendered at this time.
  • Posted on 16 January 16 at 19:43
    JMJimmy said:EA may retire Origin Access and/or online digital content services after 30 days’ noticeAfter your subscription period ends, you will not have further access to membership benefits, including Vault titles, game upgrades, or in-game purchases made in a Vault title unless you separately have access to that Vault titleIt's a bit concerning that you could buy DLC/in game content but lose access to it unless you buy the game anyway? On a basic level it makes sense but the concern is that they decide to shutdown the access program after you've spent $$$ in rental fees and $$$ in in-game content only for you to have to rebuy what you've been paying for all along... dunno, maybe I'm just too leery of EA, maybe I just like 'owning' things. I could see this working on consoles for the casual gamer but not PC.I don't see it as being that big of a deal. It would be similar to if you bought dlc for a game you got from gamefly, rented somewhere else, borrowed from a friend or signed out from a public library, or even traded in. Even if they discontinued Origin Access, you would own the dlc for whenever you did buy the game down the line or resubbed later on.

If you get into the game enough that you are buying dlc, you can always buy it with the discount, wait for a sale, or even hope it becomes one of those free titles they do once in a while, or a humble bundle.

I would assume this program will do well since it spread from being on xbox, but the audience wouldn't necessarily just be casuals. You could benefit from this without ever touching the vault if you buy games or dlc regularly due to discount on digital purchases.(and you own purchases, so whether the program continued or not doesn't matter).

Adjust for your country, but Battlefront for me is listed at 79 bucks, 159 for the mega special edition. 10% off is 7.99 or 15.99 depending on the version. Since the subscription is $5 a month, I am ahead. If I buy mass effect, mirrors edge, titanfall 2. whatever the newest sims is, dlc's etc, you could see how that might benefit me.

I am currently subbing to the xb1 version and own most of the vault games, I see the vault as just being a bonus tbh.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads