Site News

Forum to discuss TSA news items. Only TrueSteamAchievement can post here

An Introduction To The TrueSteam Scoring System

• SpilnerSpilner1,960
    Posted on 25 December 15 at 14:40
    Elyoh said:Duh, thanks Spilner. For some reason I couldn't find it before. Time to send some emails.Its a tab in the 'My Friends' menu
    Its that guy from the thing in the place.
  • ZorlacZorlac58,790
    Posted on 26 December 15 at 09:48
    deutschZuid said:Still wanting the real score in parentheses next to the TSA score.There is no real score was part of the point of this. Steam doesn't give achievement score.
  • dfgarciadfgarcia457,227
    Posted on 27 December 15 at 09:49, Edited on 27 December 15 at 16:24 by dfgarcia
    "the higher it's True value should be."

Should be "its".
  • RudeyRudey204,783
    Posted on 31 December 15 at 17:47
    But why a square root? To prevent ultra rare achievements from becoming too valuable?
  • Posted on 31 December 15 at 19:53
    Rudey said:But why a square root? To prevent ultra rare achievements from becoming too valuable?Yup, exactly that. Some of the ratios get crazy without it
  • RudeyRudey204,783
    Posted on 01 January 16 at 23:35
    TrueSteam said:Rudey said:But why a square root? To prevent ultra rare achievements from becoming too valuable?Yup, exactly that. Some of the ratios get crazy without itAlright, thanks for the answer. I've got another question... how do you guys count gamers? Do gamers who play the game but haven't earned any achievement count? And do gamers that own the game but never even played it for a single minute count too? I guess it would work best for the algorithm to only count those who have earned at least one achievement, what's your opinion on that?
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 02 January 16 at 09:39
    Rudey said:TrueSteam said:Rudey said:But why a square root? To prevent ultra rare achievements from becoming too valuable?Yup, exactly that. Some of the ratios get crazy without itAlright, thanks for the answer. I've got another question... how do you guys count gamers? Do gamers who play the game but haven't earned any achievement count? And do gamers that own the game but never even played it for a single minute count too? I guess it would work best for the algorithm to only count those who have earned at least one achievement, what's your opinion on that?Speaking from what I saw on my own tag, gamers who played the game are counted regardless of achievements earned. With TT and TA it was only after your first trophy/achievement but then again actual played games were harder to count on those (and you could delete the empty trophy/achievement lists from your history).

I think this is the best option. Even if you haven't obtained an achievement, you did actually play the game. This helps a lot with one-achievement games. Gamers who have the game but not played it should indeed not be counted.
    STAR WARS!
  • RudeyRudey204,783
    Posted on 02 January 16 at 19:24
    Billy_Horrible said:This helps a lot with one-achievement games.I forgot about these. Indeed it seems to be for the best to count gamers even without any achievement(s) earned. The only issue I see is games that initially had no achievements, but got them added in an update years after release. "NightSky" is an example of that. All of it's achievements are pretty "rare" on Steam, while they actually aren't that hard. It's just that a lot of players played the game before it had achievements. If only we could start counting the players from the moment achievements are implemented...

Another example of this is "VVVVVV". However, that game got updated with pretty hard achievements, so the rarity of the achievements seems accurate anyway.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 02 January 16 at 21:06
    Rudey said:Billy_Horrible said:This helps a lot with one-achievement games.I forgot about these. Indeed it seems to be for the best to count gamers even without any achievement(s) earned. The only issue I see is games that initially had no achievements, but got them added in an update years after release. "NightSky" is an example of that. All of it's achievements are pretty "rare" on Steam, while they actually aren't that hard. It's just that a lot of players played the game before it had achievements. If only we could start counting the players from the moment achievements are implemented...

Another example of this is "VVVVVV". However, that game got updated with pretty hard achievements, so the rarity of the achievements seems accurate anyway.
    In cases like this I guess the achievements should be put in a "title update" DLC pack, like TT and TA do with trophies/achievements added after a title update. Only weird thing would be that it's achievements in DLC when the original game has zero achievements but I guess this is just something specific to Steam that we should get accustomed to.
    STAR WARS!
  • Posted on 06 January 16 at 20:20, Edited on 06 January 16 at 20:20 by 12345ieee
    This will be buried, but I'm pretty curious about the math.

Clearly you need an increasing function of the important value:
    Total_players/Players_that_have_the_achievement

but why exactly the square root?
    I'm curious about the idea behind it.
    I mean, why not a 3rd root? Or a logarithm?
  • SpilnerSpilner1,960
    Posted on 06 January 16 at 20:37
    TrueSteam said:Rudey said:But why a square root? To prevent ultra rare achievements from becoming too valuable?Yup, exactly that. Some of the ratios get crazy without itRich already answered that one.

(Id guess square root since most people know what that means)
    Its that guy from the thing in the place.
  • Posted on 31 August 20 at 12:45
    Why i don't have any score?
  • RederdexRederdex237,956
    Posted on 31 August 20 at 13:49
    Capitão Nascimento said:
    Why i don't have any score?
    Check your privacy settings, and try to re-scan your profile.
    When scanning, everything has to be set to public. You can make it private right afterwards if you so choose
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads