Site Wishlist

Got some ideas about how to make the site better? Post them here

Less points for the games with a lot of achievements

• DanitherDanither208,245
    Posted on 04 June 18 at 23:41
    This is a major issue. An hour of playing Guns of Icarus will net me 500points and I can keep doing that night after night.

Any other game I play night after night might be worth 1000pts total.

I've just started playing some games I got from humble bundle and one particular one yucka-laley (Banjo Kazooie tribute remaster) is in total worth 500 points. Just seems totally unfair as actually the achievements are far harder to get.
  • chimera201chimera20129,275
    Posted on 29 August 18 at 12:35
    TSA Patrick said:
    There you go guys, the achievements now have been capped
    Isn't that an unfair system as well.

There is a solution that might work well as long as the majority of unlockers for an achievement are legit. The problem is basically the base value of 10 which needs to be closer to 0 for very trivial achievements. The key is to calculate median playtime (emphasis on median not average) for each achievement.

How median playtime looks like for a game.
    Values show playtime of the players in hours. Blank cells mean that the achievement isn't unlocked by the player.

Now consider this example for a game.
    The median works as long as the majority of unlockers for an achievement are legit.

Then we can calculate the final score as:
    Final Score = TSA * (Median Playtime/10) //10 could be 100 or some other value or calculation

Now the obvious argument would be points should be awarded on skill and not time investment. There are 3 points against this. First, most achievements that require skill to unlock also require more time. Second, player is already at an advantage by unlocking an achievement in less time since he has more time to unlock more achievements. Thirdly, it's not an individual's playtime that's taken into account but the median which would be more than the skilled player's time.

This solution won't work very well when the unlockers for an achievement are very less (say <10) since the value could end up being in favour of a cheater/abuser. For this an achievement can be factored into totals only if the number of unlockers are greater than (say) 10. Most achievements with less than 10 unlockers are usually the ones that no one is interested in getting rather than actually being a hard achievement that requires skill to get. Or have to come up with an algorithm to trust the unlock by comparing the playtime with the rest of the achievements.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads