Site Wishlist Archive

Site Wishlist Archive

My Game Collection Edits

• L4DANathanL4DANathan153,465
    Posted on 19 October 15 at 21:32
    I feel this is already on the "To-Do" list for the site, but I'm putting it down just in case. I noticed a few things while in My Game Collection that I think should be changed.

1) We don't really need a "Disc or Digital" section, because this IS Steam. Kind of all digital. Even the physical discs just give you a Steam license and the game itself is digital.
    2) The ownership section should probably just have 3 choices, Owned, Family Shared, and Refunded/No Longer Family Shared.
    3) There is no need for the choice of platform, since the majority of games share save data between their platforms and multiplayer is rarely system-locked. If a particular game has one of these limitations, only THEN should the system selection be available, right?

Just my two cents.
    Posted on 19 October 15 at 21:34
    Realized, maybe a 4th choice for the ownership. "Free Weekend/Trial"
  • JMJimmyJMJimmy48,951
    Posted on 19 October 15 at 21:40
    1 - Disc is for people to track that they have physical copies of games, even if they are added to Steam
    2 - Again, physical copies do still exist so they are relevant, just becoming less so with time.
    3 - I think this is so that if you're wanting to game/view stats/etc on your Linux system you can isolate your Linux compatible games rather than have to manually tease that information out.
  • NomstuffNomstuff67,684
    Posted on 19 October 15 at 21:45
    Disc copies on steam are one use deals, so, not really useful.
    Posted on 19 October 15 at 21:46
    For 1&2, those are still irrelevant as far as the site is concerned. Once you use the disc to redeem it on Steam, you no longer need the disc, and it can't be used again. If the site was focused on PC games as a whole, they would relevant, but any disc that redeems on Steam is essentially just a product key, and has zero difference as far as the game/achievements/anything the site monitors is concerned.

In regards to 3, why would you need to select that manually in the Game Collection, why not just make it a filter? Easier for the user and adds less clutter to the page.
  • JMJimmyJMJimmy48,951
    Posted on 19 October 15 at 21:49
    Nomstuff said:Disc copies on steam are one use deals, so, not really useful.Not at all, you can unregister keys you've registered. As long as the key is only in use with a single account. This allows you to sell your physical copy or get Steam to recognize a purchase of a used copy where the owner forgot to unregister their key.
    Posted on 19 October 15 at 21:57
    JMJimmy said:Nomstuff said:Disc copies on steam are one use deals, so, not really useful.Not at all, you can unregister keys you've registered. As long as the key is only in use with a single account. This allows you to sell your physical copy or get Steam to recognize a purchase of a used copy where the owner forgot to unregister their key.Can you give me a source for that? I have never heard of that being a thing and I own two seperate Steam discs.
  • JMJimmyJMJimmy48,951
    Posted on 19 October 15 at 22:09
    L4DANathan said:JMJimmy said:Nomstuff said:Disc copies on steam are one use deals, so, not really useful.Not at all, you can unregister keys you've registered. As long as the key is only in use with a single account. This allows you to sell your physical copy or get Steam to recognize a purchase of a used copy where the owner forgot to unregister their key.Can you give me a source for that? I have never heard of that being a thing and I own two seperate Steam discs.Here's a list of the games it works with: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUS... It only works with physical copies, if you bought one used and it says the key is already registered you have to contact support and show them proof of purchase/the physical game/printed key. They do the rest.
    Posted on 19 October 15 at 22:24, Edited on 19 October 15 at 22:27 by L4DANathan
    That doesn't say anything about having a game removed from an account and added to another. If what you're saying is true, then that simply means two people will own the game off of one key. The disc itself still won't matter in that case, and my original point stands.

EDIT: In fact, this Steam page outright says otherwise: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6823-QAD...
  • JMJimmyJMJimmy48,951
    Posted on 19 October 15 at 22:49
    L4DANathan said:That doesn't say anything about having a game removed from an account and added to another. If what you're saying is true, then that simply means two people will own the game off of one key. The disc itself still won't matter in that case, and my original point stands.

EDIT: In fact, this Steam page outright says otherwise: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6823-QAD...
    Notice how it's referencing 'new' (in bold) games? If it's a USED game, you can contact them to get it sorted out, but only for that list of games I linked before. I've had to do this in the past, they had me take pictures of the case, discs, and CD key with the current date in the picture to prove I was in possession/was the rightful owner of the game in question. They wanted to see all of it to make sure I didn't sell the discs while keeping the CD key - they were quite anal about it.
    Posted on 19 October 15 at 22:54
    Yes, but those are not referencing Steam disc purchased games (ala Civ V, Portal 2, etc), they are referencing getting you a Steam copy of a non-Steam disc game. As far as the site and Steam are concerned, the disc no longer matters once you get it redeemed. Again, if this was a site dedicated to ALL of PC gaming, it would be relevant, but it's a site dedicated to Steam, so the discs mean nothing. It's all digital once you get it redeemed.
  • JMJimmyJMJimmy48,951
    Posted on 19 October 15 at 23:11
    L4DANathan said:Yes, but those are not referencing Steam disc purchased games (ala Civ V, Portal 2, etc), they are referencing getting you a Steam copy of a non-Steam disc game. As far as the site and Steam are concerned, the disc no longer matters once you get it redeemed. Again, if this was a site dedicated to ALL of PC gaming, it would be relevant, but it's a site dedicated to Steam, so the discs mean nothing. It's all digital once you get it redeemed.This was in reference to Dawn of War + Dawn of War 2 + Civ 4 + Company of Heroes for me. They were all Steam DRM games released on disc before things went all digital. They can't abandon support for them and they can't prevent people from selling their physical copies so they have to support their transfer. I've done it 4 times, I'd buy the games at a mom & pop version of EB games, take a picture of everything (and my receipt) and send it off to Steam support. Eventually they'd get back to me saying they'd transferred the game to my account. I can't download them, I don't have a digital copy, I have a physical disc to do the install but never have to do the "Add Game" thing like you do with non-Steam games.
    Posted on 19 October 15 at 23:16
    In that case, it's still a very rare thing, so the site should default to not having the option unless specified otherwise for certain titles.
  • Information
    Posted on 29 April 20 at 11:27
    This post was archived by thirtysmooth

0 up votes (0%)
    0 down votes (0%)
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads