Investigations Questions

Question for the Investigations Team? Please remember to keep posts civil, abusive posts can result in loss of posting privileges. Posts in this forum can be read by anyone on the site. Please do not attempt to hijack a thread by posting information not relevant to the original post, start a new thread instead.

Question about Auto-Clickers, Auto-Typers and Keyboard's Macros.

• DarukDaruk178,128
    Posted on 21 April 16 at 08:33, Edited on 21 April 16 at 08:34 by Daruk
    Hi there!

Cheater Policy says:
    - Using any software or patches not released by the game developer is considered as cheating.

- Using a turbo controller to automate grinding is considered as non-cheating.

So, I got a tricky question about using Auto-Clickers & Auto-Typers:

By definition: Auto-Clicker is a 3rd party software, so it's considered as cheating! But it has exactly the same effect a turbo controller...
    => Can this kind of software be acceptable to grind some achievements? (for example, grind any clicker game)

Let's go further: My keyboard can hold macros, I can create a macro associated to any key to auto-type some lines in game console (like some Auto-Typers could do), then I can turbo this key to repeatedly execute the macro.
    => Is this considered as cheating?
    => Are keyboard's macros some kind of 3rd party software considered as cheats?
    ----- TiCyrillou a.k.a. Darûk
  • Posted on 23 April 16 at 07:58
    Wondering the same thing.

I'd say that it's okay solely based on the fact that over at TrueAchievements there are some seemingly accepted solutions for Windows 8/10 games that involve the use of macro programs which perform way more complicated tasks than your general autoclicker.

See here: TrueAchievements

Obviously needs clarification still, but if it's allowed over on TA I don't see why it wouldn't be here.
  • PrettzLPrettzL191,499
    Posted on 24 April 16 at 05:08
    Wouldn't allowing those also make it so that programs that edit memory or inject code are okay as well?
  • Posted on 24 April 16 at 12:38
    PrettzL said:Wouldn't allowing those also make it so that programs that edit memory or inject code are okay as well?Yeah, the wording of the rule would have to be changed or they'd have to make an exception somewhere. I do agree with the OP in the sense that just your general autoclicker is essentially a turbo controller, but there are also other programs (macro recorders, AHK) that can record and replay a series of clicks/keystrokes rather than just being able to click in one specific spot over and over.

There seems to be a fair amount of people using them already just by looking over some of the completion times of a few of the clicker/idle games. Some clarification on this is definitely needed, I personally don't see it as a huge problem.
  • Posted on 25 April 16 at 05:31
    Going to leave this topic open for a week or so as I would like to see what the community feels about this. The current policies are transferred fully from the Xbox site and perhaps need some alterations making.
  • VeilorVeilor53,747
    Posted on 25 April 16 at 16:47
    My personal opinion is that autoclickers should be ok as they don't do anything to the gamecode itself as trainers do.
  • Posted on 26 April 16 at 07:02
    Veilor said:My personal opinion is that autoclickers should be ok as they don't do anything to the gamecode itself as trainers do.Agreed, I don't think it's a big deal if someone uses an autoclicker.
  • RebornReborn75,152
    Posted on 26 April 16 at 17:56
    In my opinion an auto clicker is the same as a turbo controller, despite it being a 3rd party software. I'd say it should be the only exception.

Essentially you're still grinding, you're just speeding up the process.
    Moderator here on TSA | Walkthrough Supervisor and Site Help Editor on TA
  • DarukDaruk178,128
    Posted on 27 April 16 at 07:49
    Reborn said:Essentially you're still grinding, you're just speeding up the process.Same as for repeated keys-macros... What about macros in your opinion?
    ----- TiCyrillou a.k.a. Darûk
  • alphabetalphabet824,616
    Posted on 27 April 16 at 21:26
    I think macros should be allowed if you made them yourself. In fact, there's not really any way to prove otherwise. They shouldn't be allowed in guides there though. If you want to automate something, write the script yourself.
  • Neuman81Neuman8129,534
    Posted on 29 April 16 at 13:19
    Autoclickers are exactly the same as a turbo controller, the only difference is one is a 3rd party app, the other a 3rd party piece of hardware (as MS havent released any turbo controllers they all must be 3rd party), so pretty much the same thing (remember that turbo controllers can also be programed to use different sets of keypresses, eg Datel Wildfire Evo was fully programmable)
  • FlippolFlippol110,977
    Posted on 02 June 16 at 21:16
    I agree that auto-clickers and macros should be allowed. They're basically the PC version of turbo controllers.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 08 June 17 at 21:45
    said:
    Going to leave this topic open for a week or so as I would like to see what the community feels about this. The current policies are transferred fully from the Xbox site and perhaps need some alterations making.
    Now its opened for more than 1 year. Whats the status? Autoclicker/Macros allowed or not?
  • Posted on 08 June 17 at 22:50
    Autoclickers are still allowed. If all it does is emulate a simple controller input of repeated clicking, there isn't any major issue. Didn't see any resistance to the idea so no policy changes were made.

Code injection (such as cheat engine) is still absolutely a no-go area though since they change core game mechanics.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads